Tuesday, June 26, 2007


A Rose

A Rose is a rose
is a rose as they say
by any other name
would be a tulip.
Elaine E. Brebner




I just had to share what I cut from my rose bush today. I think I counted 12 on one branch. And they smell so sweet.





Now, I've never tried this recipe, I just thought it was interesting. I got it out of an old Time Life book of roses from 1971 I got at an antique shop.

Rose-Petal Jam
8 ounces of petals, preferably taken from newly opened fragrant red or pink roses
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 1/2 pounds sugar
1 cup rose water (available in pharmacies)

Wash and drain the rose petals. Dissolve the sugar in the lemon juice and rose water. Add the petals and leave in a warm place to steep for a few hours. Put in a saucepan; simmer gently for 30 minutes, stirring frequently, until the mixture takes on a jam like consistency. Allow to cool, then put it in small class jars and cover.

We all love these little old bottles. Here is what I did with some I've collected. I found some old pieces of wood, like a piece from the side of a barrel and wired an old bottle to it and look instant rose bud holders.











I didn't want to leave out my Petunias.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

"MMMMM"...

I can smell the roses from here!! Such a beautiful bunch of roses, and flowers to share with us. How very cleaver to arrange them on your wall like that as well.

What a lovely Post, Becky...now i wish i had roses to pick and enjoy like yours!!

"I'll just keep coming back to your blog to enjoy them, ok?"

xoxoxo
Jeannene

The Feathered Nest said...

Oh sweet Becky, thank you so much for your kind comment about my bunnies! I cannot believe how gorgeous your roses are!! Don't you just love having them cut inside your home and walking by and burying your nose in them?? And I have to tell you, I love the old bottle idea, too. They are wonderful! (oh, and I'm so loving that clock face you bought...)xxoo, Dawn

Anonymous said...

"How very thoughtful of you to want to send me some dried flowers!! I would love some, you are too kind!"

I also noticed your sweet tribute to Brianna on the your side bar. I love that image, maybe you can somehow email me that I would love to put that on my sidebar (maybe?)

Thank you so much dear!
Jeannene

Anonymous said...

have you tried that recipe yourself???? Lovely roses..They are just breathe taking!!

Mica

Gypsy Purple said...

This is sooo lovely!!!

Sam I Am said...

LOVE that second picture.. how beautiful!! that would make a sweet greeting card, mousepad, stationery, mug, tshirt, poster...the possibilities are endless!!!! :)

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

What beautiful roses!! They are my favorite; that's one flower I can grow.

Anonymous said...

"Becky",
Hope you have a lovely 4th of July Weekend!! I will be going on Vacation to Southern Ca. Look forward, to returning to chat w/u:-)!!

Blessings to you friend,
Jeannene

Anonymous said...

omg baby sister your roses are so pretty i wish i can grow roses here in florida... i miss the rose garden i had in chicago..but thanks for sharing they are absolutely beautiful.. as you are... muuuahhh love ya...

Sherri said...

sorry for naivity/dumbness here, but can you eat the rose jam? or is it just for fragrance?

Becky said...

As I stated in the post, I have not tried this recipe. It was very interesting to me so thought someone would like it. The book I got it from says it is to eat. But I wouln't if you use bug killer, or other pesticides on your roses. Anyone let me know how it goes if you try it.

The Feathered Nest said...

Thanks so much for your good wishes for our vacation! Hummmm, mermaids, I'll have to think about that...take care & I'll be back soon, xxoo, Dawn

Anonymous said...

This is soooo fabulous!!!Thank-you for your sweet comments too!!!